By using Thermo-Calc and compatible thermodynamic databases, a vast amount of information can be obtained of relevance for multicomponent noble alloys.
Examples of properties that can be predicted:
- Isothermal or vertical section phase diagrams
- Phase amount and constitution as a function of composition or temperature
- Liquidus, solidus and other phase transformation temperatures
- Partitioning of alloying elements among different phases
- Thermodynamic properties such as enthalpy, heat capacity, driving force for phase nucleation and growth
By using the Scheil-Gulliver module available in Thermo-Calc, the non-equilibrium solidification can be accurately predicted.
From a multicomponent Scheil-Gulliver calculation, one can obtain:
- Solidification temperature range
- Incipient melting point
- Phase amount and its composition
- Phase formation sequence
- Micro-segregation of solute elements
- Latent heat evolution